Functions and Positions:
In addition to the municipality chairmanship, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum chairs many other high-level governmental authorities and institutions that play a vital role in supporting the economy and labour market in the United Arab Emirates, including:
- General Pensions and Social Security Authority (GPSSA)
- Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA)
- Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities Department
- Honorary sponsor of the Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies at the Australian National University of Australia in Canberra
- Dubai Health Authority (DHA)
- Dubai Aluminium Company Limited (Dubal)
- Dubai Natural Gas Company Limited (Dugas)
- Dubai World Trade Centre
- Emirates National Oil Company (ENOC)
- Emirates Petroleum Products Company (EPPCO)
- OSC Limited Oilfield Processing Centre
- Al-Nasr Cultural & Sport Club
- Al Maktoum Foundation.
Achievements and Initiatives:
His Highness’ humanitarian and cultural achievements are evident in many countries, such as Mexico, Australia, Africa, Ireland, Europe, Pakistan, India and others. He continuously contributes to supporting the education and health sectors, whether at home in the United Arab Emirates or abroad.
He established many treatment centres, such as: The Cerebral Palsy Centre in Jordan, Dar Al Shifa Hospital in Lebanon, and the Heart Centre in Jenin, and launched many local and international awards, including:
- Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences.
- Multi-cultural Diversity Award in Scotland, with the aim of recognizing the contributions of individuals and organizations working in support of multiculturalism and fostering religious, ethnic and cultural diversity and cultural dialogue.
- Academic Excellence Award.
- Dubai International Award for Best Practices.
- Humanitarian Personality of the Year 2000 due to his support to many charitable projects, such as building orphanages, schools and hospitals in many developing countries. Sheikh Hamdan often visits Africa and Europe to care for those in need all around the world.
- Arab Technology Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his efforts as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Dubai World Trade Centre, organizer of the GITEX exhibition, which celebrated in 2005 its 25th year of being a leader in IT markets in the Middle East.
- International Hospital Federation’s Best Global Personality in the areas of health, education and sports in 2005, in recognition of his efforts.
- Personality of the Year 2007 by the Sharjah Award for Voluntary Work, in recognition of his role in supporting voluntary work.
- The highest honorary medal of appreciation from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in December 2006, in recognition of his efforts in supporting education and science programs.
- Special honour bestowed by the African Leadership Summit in Addis Ababa in February 2009, in recognition of his efforts to support education and humanitarian relief programs in more than 26 African countries.
- Three certificates from the Royal College of England in 2006 as the first international figure to attain the following achievement:
- Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College for Internal Diseases in London
- Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College for Internal Diseases in Edinburgh
- Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College for Internal Diseases and Surgery in Glasgow.
- Honorary Doctorate from the Royal College of Surgeons of England [SG1]
- Honorary Doctorate in Economics from the University of Gezira in Khartoum
- Honorary Doctorate from the Africa International University
- Honorary Doctorate from the National University of Kiev in Ukraine
A Stellar Track Record in the Equine World:
His Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is considered amongst the world’s foremost horse breeders and owners. He is known for his passion for breeding purebred Arabian horses, and has received an appreciation award from the European Conference of Arab Horse Organizations (ECAHO) for being the best owner of Arabian horses worldwide.
His Highness was selected as best owner of cross-breed and Arabian purebred horses globally and locally for several seasons. He achieved historical feats in the horse racing world, including races in England, France and the United States, and recently in the Dubai World Cup, the most expensive race in the world.
His Highness launched Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Purebred Arabian Horses in Newbury, Britain. It celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 2009. He also sponsors races in Germany, Brazil, Chile, Italy, Australia, Japan, Uruguay, Argentina, and Peru.